Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Profound Change

Metamorphosis - a profound change in form from one stage to the next in the life history of an organism, as from the caterpillar to the pupa and from the pupa to the adult butterfly.

I would consider entering our 40s a profound change. We are no longer young women in the prime of our lives, neither are we old women nearing the twilight of our years. We are, for all intents and purposes, 'tweens again.

Remember when you weren't quite a teenager? You could be a tomboy one minute and a princess the next. Getting grubby on the playground didn't preclude wearing a pretty dress to a party. It didn't matter, because you were too busy LIVING!

That's how I see women in their 40s. We can be anything and do anything we like. If we want to live alone with 30 cats, or we want to be socialites with very full dance cards, we can. Of course, those are extremes, but you know what I'm getting at.

One of my goals for this year is to sing in public. I've always been afraid to, and not because I can't sing. Anytime I've tried, my hands get sweaty, I start to shake and my throat closes up. Classic stage fright. I will conquer this fear (if it kills me).

What's your goal for this year? Please share, I'm dying to know.

No comments: